Learning @ ISTM
CISTM17 - Boundless Limits of Age and Travel
- Registration Closed
The older person faces a range of health issues, including medical comorbidities, increased risk of falls, cognitive and sensory impairment, which can have adverse consequences for international travel, ranging from disruption of travel itineraries to serious illness and hospitalisation. This symposium will provide participants with a comprehensive knowledge base to enable them to perform a risk assessment on older travellers in clinical practice and to provide well-informed pre-travel health advice.
Health Priorities for Aging and the Older Traveller
• Describe demographic trends in older person travel.
• Identify key travel health risks and protective factors in older travellers.
• Provide pre-travel health advice suitable for older travellers.
Complexity of Drug-Drug Interactions in the Older Traveller
• Address polypharmacy in older adults.
• Consider how prescription drugs may interact with malaria chemoprophylaxis.
• Give advice to older travellers about potential for counterfeit drugs in some destinations.
Immunity, Infection and Vaccination in the Older Traveller
• Outline physiology of immunosenescence in older individuals.
• Discuss vaccination schedules for older travelers.
• Focus specifically on risk-benefit of yellow fever vaccination in the older traveller.